AS220’s annual Foo Fest returns to downtown Providence’s Empire Street, Saturday, August 11th, with twelve colorful hours of music on two stages (indoor and outdoor), interactive art installations, activities for all ages from community organizations and inspired individuals, delicious local comestibles and more. The festival highlights a wide range of visual artists and performers living and working in Rhode Island, including around two-dozen musical acts gracing the stages of Foo Fest.
Kidoinfo is proud to sponsor such a cool creative happening that inspires kids of all ages to make and experience art in the heart of the city. Family programming will takes place all afternoon between the hours of 1pm and 6pm.Â The Providence Children’s Museum along with RIMOSA, and more will be on-site with various creative activities and explorations.
Rhode Island artist China Blue will be leading a free hands-on workshop on building “Fireflies”, skittering e-waste “artbots” with flashing LEDs.Â Â Â Her projects combine the subject matter of nature with the re-use of recyclable materials.
AS220 Youth will be displaying their recent work on community murals and dioramas and selling merchandise from Youth’s design program, both initiatives supported by the 38-position summer jobs program at the Youth Studio supported by Workforce Solutions.
Festival goers can dine on an array of local eats including: chow from the popular west side haunt, Julians Restaurant, sweet treats from Like No Udder, the world’s first all vegan soft serve ice cream truck and street-fest-friendly offerings from AS220 Foo(d).
Foo Fest 2012 is sponsored by Providence Tourism Council; Peak Organic; Revival Brewing Co.; Identity Theft 911; MetLife Auto & Home;Â Bank RI;Â Durkee, Brown, Viveiros & Werenfels Architects; Coastway Community Bank; TD Bank; Citizens BankÂ Official Media Partner of the Fest, The Phoenix, and media sponsors: Telemundo; WBRU;Â Kidoinfo
AS22O Foo Fest
Saturday, August 11, 2012
1 PM – 1 AM
95-115 Empire Street Complex & Block, Providence, RI
Ages: All ages
Cost: $7 per person.Â Kids 4 and under are free.
Activities, Art Installations and Performances:
- Rhode Island Mini Maker Faire
- China Blue Firefly Projects
- Providence Children’s Museum
- Â¡CityArts! for Youth
- RIMOSA – Rhode Island Museum of Science and Art
- Mask-Making with Printmaker, Dennis McNett (Wolfbat Studios) AS220 Visiting Artist-In-Residence
- Metal Working Demos by The Steel Yard
- Strange Attractor Theatre Co.
- Comedy by Randy Bush, Tim Vargulish, Jenny Zigrino & Rob Crean
- Tom West & The Providence Artist Campaign Candidates
- & valet services from Recycle-A-Bike (RAB)
- & AS220 Free Culture Award 2012 Honorees – Joan Wyand & Guillermo Gomez PeÃ±a
Good Eats by
- AS220 Foo(d) & The Bar at AS220;Â Â Julians Restaurant;Â Like No Udder & more
20 Musical Performances on 2 Stages
- Foo Fest 2012 Headliner – Big Freedia and The Divas
- AS220 Youth ZUOLOGY – Hip Hop showcase feat. ZuKrewe, dance crew 2Legit, L.I.B. Movement, Melkavine Records & more
- Boo City
- Cleansing Wave
- Dead Air
- DirtyDurdie with DJ Kellan & D-Napp
- Generations Barbershop Quartet
- Meager Sunlight
- Ravi Shavi
- Spiritual Recess
- The Famous Winters
- The Sugar Honey Iced Tea
- Trip Dicks – Liz Isenberg solo project
And the Esteemed Emcee – Walker Mettling