We just moved here, and I know no one. I’ve tried looking online, but I couldn’t find anyone locally. How can I meet other moms?
Welcome to Rhode Island! There are many other families in your same stage of life around the state. To begin with, many moms meet other moms at playgroups, libraries, music classes, and local parks and playgrounds. Just because you have an infant doesn’t mean you can’t attend a playgroup. In fact, playgroups for mothers with 0-12 month-olds are more for the moms than their babies.
Here are some suggestions:
• Check your local library for programs, such as story hours or Cradle to Crayons, for your child and you.
• Look online at Bellani Maternity to find the next playgroup for you or your child or maybe a music class to meet other families.
• If you live in Providence, go to the Humboldt Street park (corner of Humboldt and Elton Street) to meet other new moms. (It’s a very popular baby park.)
• Check for a local group at MomsClub.org
• Post a request or search for mom or play groups on the new Kidoinfo message board.
Kelly LaChance-Guertin BA, CCE, CD (DONA), CLC, has been a birth and postpartum doula for the past five years. She is currently a certified birth doula through DONA (Doulas of North America) and a certified childbirth educator. As the co-owner of Bellani Maternity and the mother of two, she experiences first-hand the struggle of balancing work and family, as well as the realities of raising children. Visit to learn more about Kelly’s one-stop resource for pregnancy and parenting.