To celebrate Children’s Book Week, (May 12-18) a national literacy initiative sponsored by The Children’s Book Council and Every Child is a Reader, Barrington Books–Rhode Island’s largest independently-owned book store–presents a week filled with festive family events: including readings, a panel discussion and book signings with award-winning children’s book authors!
CHILDREN’S BOOK WEEK EVENT SCHEDULE
Monday, May 12th, 3pm-5pm – Children’s Book Week After School Kick-off Partyfeaturing readings, signings, drawings demos, cupcakes provided by Sweet Addiction in Barrington, and a grand prize goodie bag giveaway!
Special Guest Authors:
- Adam Lehraupt, author of Warning: Do Not Open This Book
- Melissa Guion, author of Baby Penguins Love Their Mama; Baby Penguins Everywhere!
- Jen Corace, illustrator of I Hatched!; Little Oink; Little Hoot
- ZoÃ« B. Alley and RW Alley, creators of There’s a Princess in the Palace; There’s A Wolf at the Door
- Mary Jane Begin, creator of My Little Pony, Under The Sparkling Sea; Willow Buds
- Jamie Michalak, author of the Joe and Sparky series; The Coziest Place
- Christopher and Anika Denise, creators of Pigs Love Potatoes; Bella and Stella Come Home
Wednesday, May 14th, 6pm-8pm at Barrington Public Library: Voice. Heart. Connection. A Panel Discussion with Five Extraordinary Authors of YA Fiction,
co-sponsored by Barrington Books and The Barrington Public Library.
- Katie Davis – author of DANCING WITH THE DEVIL (Diversion Books; April, 2014)
- Tara Sullivan – author of GOLDEN BOY (Putnam, 2013)
- Annie Cardi – author of THE CHANCE YOU WON’T RETURN (Candlewick; April, 2014)
- Bianca Turetsky – author of THE TIME TRAVELING FASHIONISTA AND CLEOPATRA QUEEN OF THE NILE (Little, Brown, 2013)
- Katie Cotungo – author of HOW TO LOVE (Balzer + Bray/ Harper Collins, 2013)
Panel moderated by librarian and blogger: Alyisha Foley
Alyisha Foley graduated from Saint Michael’s College in Vermont, where she majored in English Literature. She’s worked in the library field for over 5 years. At present, she holds the position of Assistant Children’s Librarian at the Abbot Public Library in Marblehead, MA. She’s an aspiring author with a book review blog called “The Pooka Picks,” and she currently resides in SpookyTown, USA with her bearded boyfriend and an adorable house rabbit named Moxie Crimefighter.
Thursday, May 15th, 10-11am – Story Hour with Special Guest Reader, Author Kara LaReau
Kara LaReau is a former children’s book editor and the author of several picture books, including No Slurping, No Burping; Ugly Fish; Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story; and Otto,The Boy Who Loved Cars. Kara will stick around during the craft portion of the hour to sign books and answer questions from the audience.
Saturday, May 17th 2pm — 3:30pm Book Signing of Sucker Literary. Local moms, Hannah R. Goodman and Alyssa Gaudreau, have published the third volume of their literary anthology, Sucker Literary, featuring emerging writers of YA fiction from all over the world.
Gaudreau designed the cover and most of the stories feature her photography. Other local photographers are featured, as well. Some of the models are from Bristol and Barrington.
Goodman, a local author represented by Erzsi Deak of Hen&ink Literary, is the founder and executive editor of Sucker Literary, and her short story “A Different Kind of Cute” is featured in this volume. Goodman and Gaudreau published volume one in 2012 and volume two in 2013.
ALSO ON SATURDAY, MAY 17th: Barrington Books is participating in Indies First Storytime Day Authors and illustrators will be appearing at local indie bookstores nationwide to read stories aloud to patrons.Â Indies FirstÂ Storytime Day is proudly supported by both the ABA and CBC.
Find out which authors will be at Barrington Books by clicking here.
Barrington Books, voted BEST INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE by Rhode Island Monthly, is known far and wide for its knowledgeable book-loving staff, vast selection of high-quality books, toys and gifts, as well as its vibrant community events. For more information, visit us at barringtonbooks.comand on FACEBOOK and TWITTER!
Hi-res book jacket images and author headshots for all Children’s Book Week authors are available upon request. Please email event coordinator Anika Denise: firstname.lastname@example.org.