Category: community

Canstruction® RI now on view at Providence Place Mall benefits the Rhode Island Community Food Bank

Canstruction® RI now on view at Providence Place Mall benefits the Rhode Island Community Food Bank

[ 1 ] April 3, 2012 |

Bring kids to see Canstuction now on view at the Providence Place Mall Skybridge. Kids see how everyday objects can be transformed into three-dimensional works of art while learning about a valuable community service project.

Canstruction® Rhode Island has again challenged several teams of architects, construction professionals and their team sponsors to provide a sizeable donation to the R.I. Community Food Bank in April, while raising public awareness of the problem of hunger in Rhode Island.

read full story

This I Believe: How Do I Raise Community-Minded Kids?

This I Believe: How Do I Raise Community-Minded Kids?

[ 1 ] February 27, 2012 |

My topics for Kidoinfo conversations stem from my own quest for answers and a curiosity of how other parents make their choices and find inspiration around a certain topic. Last spring I started with the question: How do we raise our children to be thinkers, doers and to care about the world around them?

I first thought and wrote about what I believe and then invited people to share their ideas and invited Kidoinfo readers and members of the community to join in the conversation on May 25, 2011. While planning for the event, I submitted my thoughts in the form of an essay to the This I Believe website. I was honored to learn last week that my essay, How Do I Raise Community-Minded Kids?, was accepted in the “This I Believe” online database. Read the full essay…

read full story

Boys & Girls Clubs of Providence Collecting Toys for the 2011 Holidays

Boys & Girls Clubs of Providence Collecting Toys for the 2011 Holidays

[ 0 ] December 10, 2011 |

With the December holidays right around the corner, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Providence have announced an effort to collect toys for underprivileged children. Many Rhode Island families, particularly those hit hard by the recession, are struggling to make ends meet and may be challenged to provide gifts for their children. In response, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Providence are asking the community to help make the holidays brighter for children in-need.

read full story

Keith Munslow and Grammy Winner Bill Harley Hold Benefit Concert for RI Food Bank Dec. 10th in Providence

Keith Munslow and Grammy Winner Bill Harley Hold Benefit Concert for RI Food Bank Dec. 10th in Providence

[ 6 ] November 29, 2011 |

Ever wondered what’s at the bottom of your child’s backpack? Two-time Grammy award-winning artist Bill Harley did some digging, and he put the answer into song. We love Harley’s humorous spin on growing up, going to school and family life. Families can hear him sing and tell stories at a benefit concert for the Rhode Island Community Food Bank on Saturday, December 10th at the Lincoln School in Providence. Two performances are scheduled at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

I have 4 tickets to give away for this concert! Please share your child’s favorite Bill Harley song or story in the comments below and I will randomly pick one winner by Friday, December 2, 2011 at Noon, EST.

read full story

Thanks to ecoRI, we can recycle our jack-o-lanterns!

Thanks to ecoRI, we can recycle our jack-o-lanterns!

[ 1 ] October 31, 2011 |

We love carving up pumpkins and seeing them aglow on Halloween Night. But by the next day, we are quick to pack up the decorations, trying to manage candy overload and ready to discard the decaying pumpkins. I am pleased to hear that this year we can give our used pumpkins new life thanks to […]

read full story

We already live here Mom, so what does “Occupy” mean?

We already live here Mom, so what does “Occupy” mean?

[ 4 ] October 28, 2011 |

Hard to ignore the news media around Occupy Wall Street or miss the tents pitched in Burnside Park. Teaching children what’s happening locally and the greater world beyond is important and helps kids to develop their sense of place and responisbility to our community. But politics are complicated, even for adults. How do we help children understand what it is and why things happen? Make it relevant to them and share your values and opinions around the current event. At Kidoinfo, we share many voices and opinions of parents. Today, contributing writer, Jessica Holden Sherwood explains what Occupy means in a simple way for kids to understand. – Anisa

read full story

Scouts Ask Community to Give Generously to 24th Annual Scouting for Food Drive

Scouts Ask Community to Give Generously to 24th Annual Scouting for Food Drive

[ 1 ] October 27, 2011 |

Thousands of Boy Scouts will be on the move on Oct. 29, including my own boys, dropping off empty bags on neighborhood doorsteps to collect food for the 24th annual Scouting for Food Drive. Scouts are counting on the community to join them in helping their neighbors in need by filling bags with non-perishable food items during the week. Scouts will return to local neighborhoods to collect the donated food on Nov. 5, beginning at 9 am.

read full story

Local Confectioners Cook Up Secret Recipes for Rhode Island’s Second Annual Lollipop Competition

Local Confectioners Cook Up Secret Recipes for Rhode Island’s Second Annual Lollipop Competition

[ 0 ] October 26, 2011 |

Lollipop-a-palooza will be held on Sunday, November 6, 2011 from 2-5 PM at Hope Artiste Village.

Rhode Island may be the smallest state in the nation, but we are big on taste. Providence was recently voted one of the top four foodie cities by The Huffington Post – and this November we’ll prove it, as six of Rhode Island’s best candy shops and bakeries compete at the 2nd Annual Lollipop-a-palooza. The event challenges competitors to invent tasty and creative lollipop concoctions in order to raise funds for Familytopia’s “Charity of the Year.” This year’s funds will be awarded to Friend’s Way- Southern New England’s only group-based bereavement program for children who have lost a loved one close to them.

read full story

Hair Grows Back. Kids Don’t.

Hair Grows Back. Kids Don’t.

[ 2 ] September 18, 2011 |

On Wednesday, September 21st, my daughters, Grace and Fiona, are going to shave my head. Their mom’s bald head won’t be a new sight for them. I shaved with the inaugural team of the 46 Mommas Shave for the Brave in LA last September in an effort to raise awareness of pediatric cancer and help fund a cure. We continue to work toward our $1 million goal and 46 new Mommas – all moms of kids with cancer – will come together this year in DC at Union Station and go bald.

read full story

Waste Not: Donate your excess garden vegetables to local food shelter

Waste Not: Donate your excess garden vegetables to local food shelter

[ 1 ] August 3, 2011 |

Today I want to share a project started by Stephanie Langloise, a Rhode Island Girl Scout working on earning her Girl Scout Gold Award. Her mission: Raise awareness about the waste of garden fruits and vegetables, find new ways to prepare and eat abundant produce and distribute the excess to those  in need. Her story […]

read full story

Kidoinfo Kidoinfo