Closings – Schools and Businesses in Rhode Island
Current closings from RI Broadcasters Association
Signup for text or email
National Weather Service
– Current Alerts for Rhode Island
NPR – 1290 AM (WRNI)
How and Why do schools decide to close?
– a letter from Providence Schools
Recommendations during Storms (from the City of Providence):
– In case of emergency, residents should call 911. Providence Police can be reached at 272-3121. For other snow-related matters, residents should call the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services at 421-2489(CITY).
– Drivers are urged to do the following: keep fuel tanks filled, make sure windshield wipers are working, have a small shovel in the vehicle, have sand or kitty litter available for traction, have a flashlight with fresh batteries available, and a first aid kit;
– During the storm, keep children away from roadways and do not let them play in snow banks made by plows.
– Though power outages are not anticipated for this storm, should power outages occur, please contact National Grid at 1-800-465-1212. Do not approach any downed utility line. Report downed wires to the Providence Fire Department by calling 401-274-3344.
– Providence Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) has been in contact with Crossroads. Any homeless person needing assistance should contact Crossroads for assistance. They may be reached at 521-2255.
– For additional information on severe weather and hazards that could threaten our city, please visit the Providence EMA website at www.readyprov.com.