I just received news about this year’s fourth annual FirstWorksKids Festival and have to share it with you!
2007 Grammy Award winner Dan Zanes is rockin’ into town for two FREE shows June 16. Mark your calendars now! FirstWorksKids is an international children’s arts festival, bringing five stages of free entertainment to downtown Providence. Our family has been to the first three festivals and can attest that this is one of best events around for kids and parents. Come for an hour or stay for the day (like us) and enjoy music, performances, hands-on workshops, a parade, and more! Not only is this lineup of performers truly amazing, but this event is FREE for everyone!
FirstWorksKids Festival: June 16 from 1 pm-7:30 pm.
Here is just a taste of what is in store for you in this jam-packed day of music and festivities:
– Dan Zanes, hailed as the “titan of hip-kid culture” (Time Out New York Kids), 1 and 4 pm.
– African drum and dance ensemble Akwaaba.
– Grand Falloons, acrobatics by clowns from the Big Apple Circus
– Czechoslovak-American Marionette Theatre brings to life traditional Eastern European folk tales with beautiful antique wooden marionettes.
– Lots of hands-on workshops for kids, including Big Nazo Puppets allow kids to see their puppets up close and try them on.
– Exhibition skate by the Providence Roller Derby League.
– Rising Stars Showcase, with musicians, dancers, and other talented young performers who represent the spectrum of ethnic traditions from Providence and its surrounding area.
– Pick-Up Parade, led by Dan Zanes and other performers, from RISD Auditorium to Waterplace Park, where the festival ends with the 5:30 pm FirstWorksKids Family Fiesta featuring the feel-good Afro-Caribbean rhythms of the specially flown-in Puerto Rican ensemble Guarayson and a pre-show with Providence’s Lydia Perez and the Bombitas, a Puerto Rican children’s dance group.
Pre-festival dance workshop and performances: June 15, 5—7 pm. Lydia Perez and the Bombitas at Providence Children’s Museum. The museum is open free of charge for MetLife Family Friday, sponsored by the MetLife Foundation.
While you are waiting for the festival to arrive, listen to some of the music before the show. Visit Dan Zanes’s website to enjoy music videos, buy CDs, and see other fun stuff.