Trinity Rep’s Education Department is hosting the seventh annual Write Here, Write Now! competition for young playwrights. Students from all New England high schools are invited to submit an original short play (6–10 pages) by March 5, 2018.
Every submission will receive personalized feedback and four selected students will work with Trinity Rep dramaturgs and artistic staff to refine their play before experiencing their work in front of a live audience with professional actors on the theater’s mainstage on May 7, 2018.
Winners will be announced on April 9, 2018. Winners will also receive a scholarship towards any Trinity Rep Young Actors Studio after-school class. Each winner’s school will receive 20 free tickets to a Project Discovery student matinee performance during the 2018–19 season.
Creative Writing, English and Theater teachers may assign a ten-minute play as a part of their classroom curriculum, and then submit all completed plays with submission forms for each student. Submitted scripts are adjudicated through a blind submission process by Trinity Rep Education, Artistic, and Literary staff. Each year, four winners are selected with at least one winner from a Providence, RI, high school.
Here is the guidelines and submission form which must be submitted with the play.
Entry Rules and Guidelines:
- Grades 9–12 only
- Plays can be no shorter than 6 pages and no longer than 10 pages
- There must be only one playwright per script
- No more than two plays per playwright
- Scripts should have no more than twelve characters
- Stories must be original
- Submission deadline is March 5, 2018 at 5pm
- Plays should be submitted in 12 pt. Times New Roman font, single or double space
- All submissions must include this application
- Every page of the script must include the title of the play, playwright’s grade and the page number
- The playwright’s name, contact information, or school should only on the application and not appear anywhere on the script
- All scripts and applications should be emailed to: email@example.com or mailed to: Education Department — Write Here, Write Now!, Trinity Repertory Company, 201 Washington St., Providence, RI 02903