We are super excited to sponsor 2014 AS220 FooFest again this hear. AS220 has been hosting an annual celebration since 1995. The Fools Ball, initially an in-door carnivalesque event, Â expanded in 2005, with “20 Fest”, to become the AS220 Foo Fest, a one-day street festival. Foo Fest transforms downtown Providence’s Empire Street with a spirited block party attended by over 5,000 individuals from across the region. Between 1pm and 1am, a genre-spanning bill of nearly two-dozen musical acts and a nationally known headliner act grace the indoor and outdoor stages of Foo Fest. The festival also features over a dozen artist installations and participatory creative activities, including family-friendly offerings throughout the afternoon.
Lots of fun planned. Here’s the scoop:
Empire Street (Closed between Westminster and Washington Street)
1am – 1pm
Cost: $7 / person in advance. $10 day of.
The Providence Comics Consortium (PCC), the artist-in-resdienceÂ has a day full of fun planned.
- Check out the Advice Comics. Come get advice from a PCC character! Type your question and pneumatically rocket it up to our professional staff. They are waiting to dole out advice to you now!
- FOO Fest Parade.Then as the sun goes down, check out their giant fake school bus – they are gonna drag race it down Empire Street with all of your favorite PCC characters. Join the fun!
KIDOINFO:Â make your own paper mask or crowd, all materials provided.
MAKE MAGAZINE:Â The staff of the Make: Providence office will be showing off 3d printing and some projectsÂ from our upcoming books. We’ll also have info about October’s RI Mini Maker Faire.
ALICE MIZRACHI:Â The dream reliquary will be an Â outdoor installation that will incorporate the audienceÂ members dreams. In this partipatory based installation I will create a chamber for each person to cast their dream and take a small token with them to remind them of their dream. In this dream building exercise people will walk away with a personal experience as wellÂ as a reminder of Â their dreams. I will also be selling prints, zines and henna designs.
JAY ZEHNGEBOT:Â Drawing Game. Large Collabo-Duck Pond.Â Groups of 3 or 4 Race to make drawn ducks and add them to a big group of ducks in a pond.Â Three Phases. Transparency. Timed. Should be a little wacky.Â http://itp.nyu.edu/~jrz237/sinatra/duckpond <— this should give some idea?
CITY ARTS: Kids will learn to create their own necklace or bracelet out of paper beads!
Sok Song: Origami
Randy Bush: RPG game character compatability testing
Phillippe Lejeune: Interactive Installation/ mirror boxes
RIMOSA: Hand drawn animations and projections
Steel Yard: Ceramic Demos with Kickwheel & Handbuilding
Kurt Snell: Sculpture (with light and audio component)
Arielle Arts: Circus Arts (aerialists performing above the crowd / street)
Avenue Concept: Art car (painting and drawing on a car)
Trinity Rep:Â It will be selected scenes fromÂ Shakespeare’sÂ As You Like ItÂ performed by YASI Shakes (which is a group of high school students who put this together in a week). We can seat about 90 people in there. It will be fun, light, informal. It’s atÂ 2PMÂ in the Pell Chafee Performance Center (87 Empire Street).
- Poco Loco LLC – Tacos
- Del’s Lemonade – Lemonade
- Darwell Reed – Dough boys, French fries, clam cakes, chowder
- Ooh Mommi Foods – Vegan food (burgers, sandwiches, salads, pizza + pasta specials)
- Fugo – Asian-Latin fusion cuisine
- Black Beach Partners Inc. – Hot dogs and frozen lemonade
- Tricycle Ice Cream – Ice cream
- Like No Udder, LLC – All vegan- soft serve, shakes, floats, frozen lemonade, hot dogs and meatball subs
- Tina’s Jamaican Rest – Patties, jerk chicken, curry chicken, veggie
- Julians Omnibus + Smoker – Falafel Sandwiches, ice cream, smoker BBQ