Here is my 2010 list of fun ways my family is celebrating the last care-free days of summer vacation–before school starts and the days get shorter and the nights get colder. Some were on last years’ list, but some traditions are worth repeating.
1. Head to the beach for boogie boarding, castle building and wave splashing. Our favorites are Second Beach in Newport, RI, Narragansett Town Beach, RI and South Beach in Chatham, MA.
2. Have a potluck picnic with friends at a park, a beach or backyard.
3. Visit Waterfire in downtown Providence, lighting occurs just after sunset.
4. Take a hike and collect natural materials. Build a fairy house in the woods.
5. Make an accordion book about what we did this summer. Have kids draw pictures, add photos, collage, tell stories or make lists of what they did or where they went.
6. Plan a meal around what’s growing in our community garden.
8. Visit Acme Video and choose a great summer film like Finding Nemo, Nim’s Island, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Surf’s Up or Treasure Island to watch for family movie night.
9. Have friends over–after the kids are in bed–and sip summer cocktails on the porch.
10. Go for a bike ride and then visit our favorite ice cream place, Three Sisters in Providence. Like soft serve ice cream? Check Katy’s list of local places that serve it up. Click here to find Rhode Island bike maps.
How are you celebrating your last days of summer?