StoryCorps–a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving oral history–is declaring November 28, 2008 the first annual National Day of Listening.
This holiday season, StoryCorps asks you to start a new holiday tradition. I love this idea. Ask the people around you about their lives – it could be your grandmother, a teacher, or someone from the neighborhood. By listening to their stories, you will be telling them that they matter and they won’t ever be forgotten. What a memorable gift to share.
Storycorp makes it simple for everyone to participate. Follow these 5 Easy Steps:
– 1. Download the Do-It-Yourself Guide ahead of time, with simple step-by-step instructions.
– 2. Select your interview partner.
– 3. Create a question list. StoryCorps has a list of favorite questions organized by topic or type of person (e.g. grandparents, friends, growing up, marriage)
– 4. Record your conversation. Use your own tape recorder or video camera or plan to borrow one from a friend. Practice using it before the interview
– 5. Save and share your conversation. Once you are done, share it with your friends and family and tell Kidoinfo and StoryCorps about your experience.