Category: community

When the doctor orders bedrest

When the doctor orders bedrest

[ 1 ] November 24, 2009 |

I was put on bedrest after a routine visit to my midwife’s office thirty weeks into my pregnancy. Although bedrest is not uncommon when expecting twins,  I still did not think it would happen to me. Pregnancy is already a busy and stressful time–you may be setting up the nursery or juggling work and young kids–and […]

read full story

Providence Woman Leads Local Movement to Eradicate Child Slavery in India

Providence Woman Leads Local Movement to Eradicate Child Slavery in India

[ 0 ] November 4, 2009 |

The Wonder’s of India: Celebrating for Freedom. A family celebration of Indian Culture on November 7, 2009 aims to help International Cause. Where: Jewish Community Center, 500 Elmgrove Avenue (on the East Side), Providence, RI 02906 When: Saturday, November 7, 2009 Time: Noon to 8 p.m Admission: $2 per person, children under the age of […]

read full story

Call to Action for Providence Residents regarding seniority-based hiring in Providence Public Schools

Call to Action for Providence Residents regarding seniority-based hiring in Providence Public Schools

[ 4 ] September 30, 2009 |

High quality teachers are a critical part of a high quality education. Although a teacher’s length of service is a relevant factor in determining the teacher’s quality and suitability for a position, many other factors besides seniority determine teacher quality. The best teacher is not necessarily the most senior teacher. Providence Public Schools recently gained […]

read full story

Cupcakes for a Cause

Cupcakes for a Cause

[ 0 ] September 18, 2009 |

Cupcakes for a Cause is a week-long event with bakeries around the country selling cupcakes and donating a portion of sales to the CancerCare for Kids program which provides free professional support services to any child affected by cancer, whether the diagnosis is their own or that of a loved one. This year Cupcakes for […]

read full story

International Coastal Cleanup: Rhode Island Style

International Coastal Cleanup: Rhode Island Style

[ 0 ] September 17, 2009 |

September 19, 2009 from 9 AM – Noon Each year on the third Saturday in September, volunteers around the world show they care about their coasts by flocking to the beaches to clean up and document the trash they find. The Audubon Society of Rhode Island coordinates cleanup efforts for the Ocean State. The “Hold […]

read full story

MAKER FAIRE: A Celebration of D.I.Y (Do-It-Yourself) Ingenuity and Innovation

MAKER FAIRE: A Celebration of D.I.Y (Do-It-Yourself) Ingenuity and Innovation

[ 0 ] September 15, 2009 |

Calling all parents and kids! Maker Faire Rhode Island is here. Whether you are a do-it-yourselfer or just like to see what cool things other people can create there is plenty to see and do this week at Rhode Island’s first ever Maker Faire taking place now in Providence and Pawtucket. Beginning at the birthplace […]

read full story

September 11: National Day of Service and Remembrance

September 11: National Day of Service and Remembrance

[ 0 ] September 10, 2009 |

Take a moment to do something good in your community. Barack Obama has made 9/11 officially a National Day of Service and Remembrance. It is heartwarming to know out of sad times and hardship there is the possibility for healing, growth and new beginnings. Seize this opportunity to help someone in need, make a positive […]

read full story

Summer fun at local Arts and Crafts Festivals

Summer fun at local Arts and Crafts Festivals

[ 2 ] July 3, 2009 |

By Linda Demers Outdoor art festivals and craft fairs are a highlight of my summer. On a beautiful day (we’ve been known to have them), nothing excites me more than being outside among festive shoppers looking at great handmade products and enjoying live entertainment. As a supporter of buying handmade and shopping local, I can […]

read full story

Help Save Bonniedale Farm!

Help Save Bonniedale Farm!

[ 4 ] June 16, 2009 |

By Mary Smith “Taking care of an animal requires the same amount of responsibility as having a child,” says Dan MacKenzie, owner and operator of the 7.5 acre Bonniedale Farm in North Scituate, Rhode Island. MacKenzie serves as parent and knight in shining armor to over a hundred animals. Bonniedale is the only safe haven […]

read full story

RISE: Be a Friend, Be a Mentor!

RISE: Be a Friend, Be a Mentor!

[ 1 ] May 26, 2009 |

“During the new mentor training, we learned about the 10-block radius, a term that refers to kids who grow up in the inner city and are limited to experiences within their own neighborhoods and never get a chance to venture outside that zone. That concept really hit home when I took T to the East […]

read full story

Kidoinfo Kidoinfo