Summer is winding down. I know some kids are already back at school (including mine) but come this Labor Day Weekend we are planning to squeeze in just a bit more of our summer fun favorites to make the transition into the fall routine a little easier.
1. Go to your favorite ice cream place. Our family loves Three Sisters at 1074 Hope Street in Providence. We take ours to go and enjoy our treats at the fountain in Lippitt Park (corner of Blackstone Boulevard and Hope Street). Like Soft serve ice cream? Check Katy’s list of local places that serve it up.
2. Stay in your PJs all morning. Make the lazy days of summer last just a bit longer.
3. Go to the drive-in. Although our favorite one is the Wellfleet Drive-In on Cape Cod with the original large single screen, locally in Rhode Island we can visit the Rustic Drive-In locally (now split into 3 screening areas).
4. Camp out in your backyard. Tell ghost stories or make shadow puppets.
5. Have a sunset picnic at the beach. Pack a picnic and head to the beach after 5:00 when parking is free, the beach is quieter, the sun is cooler and the light is amazing.
6. Decorate your backpack. Make your own Shrinky Dink keychains.
7. Take a rhode trip. Be a tourist in your state. Plan a destination, pack some snacks and hit the road. Check the Kidoinfo list of day trips in the Rhode Island area.
8. Stay up and catch fireflies. Find out more.
9. Go for a bike ride on the East Bay Bike path. Have a yummy snack at the The Fruity Cow located on the Bike Path & Child Street in Warren, RI.
10. Read Books about the beach, fish and other such things. Some of our favorites are Stella, Star of the Sea by Marie-Louise Gay, Dory Story by Jerry Pallotta and illustrated by David Biedrzycki or Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On by Lois Ehlert.
Category: family matters