On the day after Thanksgiving, StoryCorps—a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving oral history—asks everyone to take a few minutes to record an interview with a loved one. Listen to stories. Share stories.
I love this idea. Ask the people around you about their lives — it could be your grandmother, a teacher, or someone from the neighborhood. By listening to their stories, you will be telling them that they matter and they won’t ever be forgotten. What a memorable gift to share.
This year, we celebrate the National Day of Listening on Friday, November 23, 2012.
StoryCorps makes it simple for everyone to participate.
Follow these 5 Easy Steps:
• 1. Download the Do-It-Yourself Guide ahead of time, with simple step-by-step instructions.
• 2. Select your interview partner.
• 3. Create a question list. StoryCorps has a list of favorite questions organized by topic or type of person (e.g. grandparents, friends, growing up, marriage)
• 4. Record your conversation. Use your own tape recorder or video camera or plan to borrow one from a friend. Practice using it before the interview
• 5. Save and share your conversation. Once you are done, share it with your friends and family and tell Kidoinfo and StoryCorps about your experience.