• Monday, December 7th at 6:00 pm at Central High School
• Wednesday, Dec. 2nd at 6:00 pm at SORICO, 646 Camp Ave., North Kingstown
This open invitation from Deborah Gist, education commissioner, invites parents to join the conversation about transforming education in Rhode Island at two upcoming Race to the Top Forums. At these events, you will hear from the Commissioner about her strategic agenda and then break into small groups to discuss and present your opinions about education reform.
Call to Action: It’s very important that parents and other citizens attend these forums and express their support for the critical education reforms currently being proposed, including criterion-based hiring for teachers and a state education aid funding formula.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Dear Fellow Rhode Islanders,
The federal Race to the Top funds could bring unprecedented resources to Rhode Island to help us transform education. The U.S. Department of Education will distribute these funds to states that have both made progress and shown promise in four vital areas:
• improving teacher effectiveness;
• accelerating the performance of low-performing schools;
• establishing world-class standards and assessments; and
• developing user-friendly data systems.
These initiatives are closely aligned with the set of priorities and the strategic agenda that I am developing to get all students ready for success in college, careers, and life.
As we prepare our Race to the Top application, I have scheduled community forums at which you can learn more about our strategic agenda and present your views on education reform. I greatly value your feedback, which will help us to submit a first-caliber application. We will hold community forums on:
• Monday, December 7th @ 6 p.m., at Central High, 70 Fricker St., Providence
• Wednesday, December 2nd @ 6 p.m., at SORICO, 646 Camp Ave., North Kingstown
Please feel free to distribute this letter to others in your organization, your school, or your community. If you have any questions, you may call me at 222-4690, or e-mail: Deborah.Gist@ride.ri.gov
I hope that I will see you and hear from you at our community forums!
Deborah A. Gist