I love avoiding the malls at holiday time and discovering new places to shop. Here is a wonderful recommendation from one of our readers:
My daughter and I went out onto Westminster this morning to do a little holiday shopping for the daddy and brother without them, and we had a great time. You can hit OOP!, Bread and Board, DCI275, and Craftland in a two-block stretch, all of which offer great little items (and some really nice pricier ones). Symposium Books, Clover, and another new housewares store are also right there, too. And we got to hear the bells chime at the big Grace Church from right below, which was also a nice little treat.
• Taqueria Pacifica (right off Westminster Street)
Offering West Coast-stylin’ Mexican food – fresh, flavorful, fun, and affordable.
Location: AS220 – 115 Empire Street, Providence, RI.
• Tazza (corner of Westminster St. and Union Street)
Funky neighborhood caffe & bar located in Providence’s historic Alice Building
Location: 250 Westminster Street, Providence, Rhode Island
Parking Bonus: The city has resumed its annual tradition of giving free street parking downtown and in other key shopping neighborhoods (see below). The program started November 27 and goes through New Year’s Day. Park for free from 11 am to 6 pm at metered parking spaces. The city also won’t give tickets for parking longer than the posted time in those neighborhoods.
Holiday Parking Zones:
• Downtown Providence, bounded by Steeple Street, west to route 95; 95 south to 195; 195 east to Point Street; Point Street to Wickenden Street; north on South Main to North Main Street at Steeple Street
• Wayland Square
• South Main Street, from Wickenden Street to Packet Street
• North Main Street, from Thomas Street to Park Row
• Thayer Street
• Atwells Avenue, from Bradford Street to Knight Street
• Broad Street, from Public Street to Montgomery Street