The Instant Pot is quite a miraculous kitchen appliance. It can cook soups, stews, pasta, vegetables, and even desserts.
This kitchen appliance is also great for busy parents. An Instant Pot uses pressure cooking to cook entire meals in a matter of minutes. Since it cooks faster than traditional cooking methods, it might also help reduce your monthly bills.
We combed the internet to find kid-friendly meals that parents can easily make in an Instant Pot. Here are five Instant Pot meals that any kid will love.
1. Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
Debuting in 1937, boxed macaroni and cheese has become a must-have snack or meal for children worldwide.
Understandably, you might be looking for a way to cook a homemade version of this cheesy snack. Here’s what you’ll need to make Instant Pot macaroni and cheese that’s way better than the boxed stuff.
- Elbow pasta – 1 pound
- Water – 4 cups
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Butter – 3 tablespoons, cut into smaller pieces
- Shredded cheese – 2 ½ cups
- Whole milk – ½ cup
- Pour your water, pasta, and salt into your instant pot.
- Cook on high for 4 minutes, quick-releasing the steam valve after the timer sounds.
- Stir in butter until it melts.
- Slowly add in your milk and cheese, stirring everything consistently.
- Serve with desired seasonings and garnishes.
2. Baked Potato Soup
The Instant Pot is a great device for making hearty, rich soups. If your kids aren’t interested in anything in the pantry, give this baked potato soup recipe a shot. We think your kids will love it and so will you.
- Potatoes – 6
- Celery – 6 stalks
- Fat-free evaporated milk – 2 12oz cans
- Butter – 8 tablespoons
- Water – 4 cups
- Salt – a dash
- Pepper – a dash
- Garlic salt – a dash
- Add your potatoes, celery, onions, and water into your Instant Pot.
- Close your Instant Pot’s lid and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Let all pressure release naturally, opening the lid afterward.
- Add in your milk, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and butter.
- With your Instant Pot’s lid off, bring your soup to a boil.
- Use the Instant Pot simmer setting, letting the soup cool down for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with toppings.
3. Spaghetti and Meatballs
Another classic dish that most children love is spaghetti and meatballs. People in the United States love this dish so much they designated January 4th as National Spaghetti Day!
While this is a beloved meal, it’s not the easiest to make. With an Instant Pot, it costs much less time and energy to make spaghetti and meatballs.
Best of all, you only need four ingredients to make this recipe!
- Frozen meatballs – 2 pounds
- Spaghetti noodles – 1 pound
- Pasta sauce – 1 jar (about 34 ounces)
- Chicken stock – 3 cups
- Place your frozen meatballs on the bottom of your Instant Pot’s inner pot.
- Break your dry noodles in half and layer them over your meatballs.
- Pour the chicken stock into your Instant Pot
- Pour in your pasta sauce
- Close your Instant Pot’s lid and seal your release valve.
- Cook on “High” for 8 minutes, letting pressure release for about two minutes afterward.
- Carefully use tongs or oven mitts to manually release the remaining steam. Do not try to open the lid.
- Thoroughly mix everything in your Instant Pot and serve!
4. Barbecue Pulled Pork
For another popular dish that everyone in your family will love, here’s a recipe for tasty barbecue pulled pork.
- Boneless pork shoulder/loin/butt – 2 lbs
- Salt – ¾ teaspoon
- Black pepper – ½ teaspoon
- Pepper soda – 8 ounces
- BBQ sauce – ¾ to 1 cup
- Set aside your pork, thoroughly rubbing it with salt and pepper.
- Pour in your Dr. Pepper.
- Close your Instant Pot’s lid and cook on high for 45 minutes.
- After cooking is complete, let the steam naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Next, carefully set the quick-release valve to the “Venting” setting.
- Remove your pork and shred it.
- Add the barbecue sauce to your shredded pork.
- Serve on bread with fixings.
5. Chocolate Lava Cake
If there’s one thing that kids find it hard to resist, it’s chocolate. For that matter, many adults find it hard to live without this delicious treat.
With that in mind, we wanted to include one dessert recipe. Chocolate lava cake is typically a fancy dessert served at restaurants. Fortunately, you can also have it in your home for a fraction of the price.
- Dark chocolate chips (semi-sweet will also work) – 1 cup
- Butter – ½ cup
- Eggs – 3
- Sugar ½ cup
- Flour ¼ cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Place your butter and chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave this mixture in 30-second intervals, stirring each time until everything’s smooth.
- In another bowl, evenly mix your eggs, flour, sugar, and vanilla.
- Take the ingredients from your bowl in step 3 and pour them into your first bowl.
- Spray four 6-7oz ramekins (or dish of similar size and depth) with cooking spray.
- Fill each of your ramekins ? full with your batter mix.
- Place a steam rack at the bottom of your Instant Pot, adding two cups of water.
- Carefully place three of your ramekins atop the steam rack, placing one more ramekin in the center.
- Cook on high for 8 minutes, setting the release valve to the sealed setting.
- Put on an oven mitt or use a pair of tongs to quickly release the Instant Pot’s steam value.
- Open your Instant Pot’s lid and carefully pull out your ramekins.
We hope that you enjoyed these easy and kid-friendly instant pot meals. Try cooking one or all of these dishes for delicious dinners and and desserts all week.