Bring kids to see Canstuction now on view at the Providence Place Mall Skybridge. Kids see how everyday objects can be transformed into three-dimensional works of art while learning about a valuable community service project.
CanstructionÂ® Rhode Island has again challenged several teams of architects, construction professionals and their team sponsors to provide a sizeable donation to the R.I. Community Food Bank in April, while raising public awareness of the problem of hunger in Rhode Island.
After spending the last few months on fund-raising efforts and designing astounding sculptures, each of seven teams started building its creations from approximately 3,000 to 6,000 cans of food on Saturday morning, March 31, 2012.Â The sculptures will be on display at the Providence Place Mall Skybridge Concourse through Friday, April 13.
They will be “de-canstructed” Saturday, April 14, when an anticipated 20,000 to 30,000 canned goods will be transported to the Food Bank. Every month, the Food Bank’s network of emergency food pantries serves more than 60,000 people. One in three is a child under the age of 18.
“The Canstruction exhibit highlights the fact that more Rhode Islanders than ever need help in putting food on the table,” said Andrew Schiff, chief executive officer of the Rhode Island Community Food Bank. “We’re grateful to all the talented participants and to Providence Place for providing space where thousands of people can see these amazing sculptures. This impressive project serves as a reminder that the problem of hunger is close to home, affecting every community in Rhode Island.”
The teams include four companies that entered the competition for the first time this year and nine that have participated at least once in prior years, not always with the same team partners. Six of the nine have created sculptures in all four events since the first was held in 2007. This year, the teams include:
- Dimeo Construction Co., Providence, and Vision 3 Architects,Providence
- Durkee, Brown, Viveiros & Werenfels, Inc, Providence, and GTECH (second time), Providence, with four first-time and one second-time sponsor to date
- Jo Ann Bentley Architect, Fall River, Gilbane, Providence and the Young Constructors Forum of the R.I. Associated General Contractors, Providence
- LLB Architects, Pawtucket,and Shawmut Construction Co., Providence
- Saccoccio Associates, Cranston
- Michael Warner Architect, Providence, C.A. Pretzer Associates, Inc., Cranston, and Design Built, Inc., Warwick, all first-time participants as are their 15 sponsors to date.
Awards for the sculptures will be presented in several categories at a gala event on Thursday, April 12.Â Photos of sculptures in the national judging categories — Jurors’ Favorite, Best Use of Labels, Structural Ingenuity, Best Meal and up to two Honorable Mentions — will be entered in the international CanstructionÂ® competition.Â There also is a CanstructionÂ®RI“People’s Choice” award.Â Viewers of the sculptures can vote for the “People’s Choice” award at the exhibit.
Canstruction – On view until April 13, 2012
Where: Providence Place Mall Skybridge – 1 Providence Place, Providence, Rhode Island 02903
Ages: All ages