If you decorate a tree, Safe Kids USA and the United States Fire Administration recommend these precautions:
– Never leave a lighted Christmas tree or other decorative lighting display unattended. Inspect lights for exposed or frayed wires, loose connections and broken sockets. Do not overload extension cords or outlets and do not run an electrical cord under a rug.
– Natural Christmas trees always involve some risk of fire. To minimize the risk, get a fresh tree and keep it watered at all times. Do not put the tree within three feet of a fireplace, space heater, radiator or heat vent.
– Decorate with children in mind. Do not put ornaments that have small parts or metal hooks, or look like food or candy, on the lower branches where small children can reach them. Trim protruding branches at or below a child’s eye level, and keep lights out of reach.
– Do not burn Christmas tree branches, treated wood or wrapping paper in a home fireplace.
– Do not put candles on a tree or a natural wreath, or near curtains or drapes, and keep matches and lighters locked out of reach of children.
– Battery-operated flameless candles are an alternative that does not have a fire risk. Decorative lighting should be labeled with the seal of an independent testing lab and should only be used outdoors if it’s labeled for outdoor use.
Safe Kids USA also offers these tips to prevent poisoning:
– Keep alcohol (including baking extracts) out of reach and do not leave alcoholic drinks unattended.
– Color additives used in fireplace fires are a toxic product and should be stored out of reach. Artificial snow can be harmful if inhaled, so use it in a well-vented space.
– Mistletoe berries, Holly Berry and Jerusalem Cherry can be poisonous. If they are used in decorating, make sure children and pets cannot reach it.
– In a poison emergency, call the national Poison Control Hotline at 800-222-1222 to be routed to your local poison control center.
For more information, visit http://www.usa.safekids.org/fire/.