Beginning in January 2021, The Empowerment Factory (TEF) will be offering free, virtual art classes geared towards elementary youth in partnership with the Rhode Island Department of Education. For more information, visit their website at www.empowermentfactory.org/free-art-adventures .
Families that are interested in classes before the start of registration can visit this page and fill out the contact form so they can remind you of when registration begins, or help sign you up. Families can only sign up for 2 total classes from these offerings.
This 7 week Nature Drawing class is a combination of science and art. Have fun using your creativity, discovering new talents, and learning new skills. While you draw, you will explore facts about animals, science, and the world. This spring they will focus on drawing endangered species to raise awareness about our planet’s needs. This class takes place once a week for seven weeks. TEF is offering different times and days to accommodate families’ schedules.
- Nature Drawing, Team 4A: Begins 01/19/21, Ends 03/2/21 – Tuesdays from 4:00pm – 5:00pm
- Nature Drawing, Team 4B: Begins 01/25/21, Ends 03/8/21 – Mondays from 4:00pm – 5:00pm
- Nature Drawing, Team 5A: Begins 02/03/21, Ends 03/17/21 – Wednesdays from 5:00pm – 6:00pm
- Nature Drawing, Team 5B: Begins 03/29/21, Ends 05/10/21 – Mondays from 4:00pm – 5:00pm
- Nature Drawing, Team 6A: Begins 03/30/21, Ends 05/11/21 – Tuesdays from 4:00pm – 5:00pm
- Nature Drawing, Team 6B: Begins 03/31/21, Ends 05/12/21 – Wednesdays from 5:00pm – 6:00pm
Friday Family Art Night
Friday Family Art Night is a great way to engage the whole family in a fun activity. Each art lesson will include a kit of art supplies needed to make the project, and 2 nights of virtual instruction, one on the 2nd Friday of the month, and one on the 4th Friday of the same month. There are 4 different art lessons families can choose from. The classes begin in January and go through April.
- Origami Peace Cranes & Animals: Jan. 15th & Jan. 29th, 6:15pm- 7:30pm: Step-by-step of folding paper to create “Peace Cranes” and other origami animals. You will also write happy messages on the wing, and share it with another person.
- Jewelry Making: Feb. 12th & Feb. 26th, 6:15pm-7:30pm: Using basic hand tools to make jewelry using paper, clay, and metal while learning facts about the history of jewelry making in Rhode Island.
- Mandala Mosaic: Mar. 12th & Mar. 26th, 6:15pm-7:30pm: Learn the process of making mandalas and how to decorate them with beads while exploring the history of mandalas.
- Painting: April 9th & April 23th, 6:15pm-7:30pm: Explore techniques with acrylic paints. You will focus on developing the fine art skills of color blending, gradient shading, and expressing yourself.
Later in the spring and summer TEF will be continuing their free, socially distanced, “Art in the Park” event! Be on the lookout for dates and times which will be listed on their website under Free Art Adventures as well.