By Megan Fischer, Director of Communications, Providence Children’s Museum
Unstructured, freely chosen play promotes children’s healthy growth and development, but many kids don’t get enough free play, especially outdoors.Â The warm summer months invite kids to indulge in more carefree, active, outdoor play that is not as available during the school year.Â This summer, Providence Children’s Museum offers an array of powerful outdoor play experiences on its grounds and well beyond.
Splash in the fountain and soak up the sun in the Museum’s native Children’s GardenÂ — a perfect place to play, explore and take a break with a picnic lunch. Wriggle and stretch through the sculptural two-story-high Climber, an enclosed maze of undulating platforms. Adventure through the whimsical subterranean world of Underland and discover root systems, worm tunnels and critters’ burrows. A selection of toys — including jump ropes, hula hoops and bouncing balls — promotes active, physical play.
Explore the Museum’s great outdoors during active programs all summer long:
- Get Out! — Try fun hands-on activities each Tuesday in July and August from 1:00 – 3:00 PM.Â Use the power of air to send rockets soaring, mix up mud pies, build channels to move water, and more.
- Wheels at Work — Climb aboard a different working vehicle on Wednesdays in July and August from 10:00 AM – Noon.
- Bubble Blowout — Blow bubbles big and small and experiment with different bubble-blowing techniques on July 28 and 29.
- Worm World — Observe how worms wiggle and investigate a wormy habitat on August 10 and 11.
Museum educators will also facilitate a series of “pop-up play” activities at Providence public parks this summer, taking Imagination PlaygroundÂ — big blue foam blocks, wheels, spools and tubes — and other loose parts and open-ended fun to different neighborhoods across the city. Â This is a pilot program in partnership with the Providence Department of Parks and Recreation to program public spaces with unstructured, playful Museum-quality experiences available to all kids and families.
Play at the Park with Providence Children’s Museum
- Saturday, July 7, 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM, Broad Street Farmers’ Market
- Thursday, July 19, 5:00 – 8:00 PM, Dexter Training Ground concert
- Wednesday, July 25, 10:00 AM – Noon, Cabral Park (Wickenden Street in Fox Point)
- Saturday, August 4, 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM, Broad Street Farmers’ Market
- Wednesday, August 8, Noon – 2:00 PM,Â General Street Park (off Admiral Street in Wanskuck)
- Thursday, August 9, 5:30 – 7:30 PM, Roger Williams Park concert
- Tuesday, August 14, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM, Burnside Park (in Kennedy Plaza)
The Museum offers plenty of indoor fun this summer, too!Â Join Big Nazo for a Monster Mingle on Thursday, July 12 from 1:00 – 3:00 PM.Â Explore Imagination Playground on weekdays in July and August from 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM.Â And drop into Discovery Studio for hands-on art and science exploration, Thursday through Sunday from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM.Â Check the calendarÂ for details.