When my kids were little, I memorized Brown Bear Brown Bear and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Eric Carle’s picture books made learning fun for my kids as they learned about food, colors, animals, and more. He has filled our world with colorful collaged imagery that invites kids to touch and play with his books. His award-winning books are original pieces of art and reading them is a stimulating and lasting experience.
Eric Carle has been drawing, scribbling, and making art since he was a young kid. He has created over seventy picture books for kids – many celebrating his love for nature. In 2002 Eric Carle opened The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art to celebrate, inspire, and introduce picture books to kids of all ages. In honor of the museum’s turning 5 this year, they have planned a number of special events.
Fun facts about Eric Carle
– His favorite artists are Paul Klee and Pieter Brueghel
– His favorite book is Do You Want to Be My Friend?
– See a complete list of his books.
Watch the artist at work and see how creates his art
– How he paint with tissue papers. See video.
– How he creates his pictures. See video.
– How he created collage illustrations for his book Mister Seahorse. See video.
– How he created a large scale mural. See video.
Shop for fun Eric Carle things
– Brown Bear Touch ‘N Read Block
With a gentle push on the image, children will be delighted to hear the animal name, animal sound, and charming text read from the book. $24.95
– Very Hungry Caterpillar Magnetic Play Tin
Includes four colorful magnetic play scenes and two sheets of magnetic play pieces. $10.95
– Up, Up I Go Growth Chart
Complete with Eric Carle’s distinctive animal illustrations. Measuring over 6 feet and including stickers for marking memorable milestones, this chart serves as a lovely keepsake of your child’s early development. $12.95
– You Can Make a Collage: A Very Simple How-To Book
by Eric Carle. This fabulous project book was first published by Klutz but is no longer in print. Find it on eBay or various online bookstores.