Although the kick off event was last weekend, it is not too late to join the outdoor summer fun.
The Rhode Island Great Outdoors Pursuit is a game to help you and your family to enjoy the recreational resources and outdoor activities our state parks have to offer, and to get moving toward a healthier lifestyle. To play, you need a minimum two-member team (one adult 18 years or older and one child under 18) and the desire to have a great time. You’ll decode clues, discover Rhode Island’s beautiful state parks and participate in fun activities and challenges – all for a chance to win great prizes.
You will be invited to participate in up to seven “Pursuits” over a 12-week period. At each pursuit, you’ll be able to participate in free and low-cost activities such as hiking, fishing, kayaking, rock climbing and children’s games. Each Pursuit will also feature music, food, environmental and health-related exhibits, and free raffles, give-a-ways and samples.
Four of the Pursuits require attendance on specific days. The remaining Pursuits are “self-guided” that you and your team can do on your own, before the Grand Finale.
Teams earn points for each completed event Just check in at guided events or provide the required proof-of-visit for self-guided events.Â For complete details on the program and optiona registration, visit the The Rhode Island Great Outdoors Pursuit website.
All events are from 11 am – 3pm unless otherwise posted
- Sunday, 5/19 – Event #1: Lincoln Woods State Park
- Sunday, 6/23 – Event #2: Fort Adams State Park
- Sunday, 7/28 – Event #3: Colt State Park (Bay Day)
- Saturday, 8/17 – Event #4 (Grand Finale): Burlingame State Park & Campground (with free overnight camping option)
Self-Guided Events (Choose 3 Events)
Specific Times – T.B.A.
- Saturday, June 8th: Camp Fuller
- Saturday, July 20: Prudence Island Recreation Day
- Tuesday, July 30 (DOT Bike Safety Day): Goddard Memorial State Park
- Thursday, August 1: Rhode Island Land Trust Press Event and Hike