These tin can robot kits reminiscent of Mr.Potato allow kids to create (and re-create) robots from recycled parts and magnets. All the “body” parts can be stashed inside the tin can, wrapped with a how-to label–perfect for a DIY party craft or gift.
- tin can (We prefer soup cans with a flat inside edge when the top is removed.)
- hardware,and various recyclables such as bottle caps, nuts, bolts, wire, keys, buttons, etc.
- hot-glue gun
- strong disk magnets
- Open tin can with a safety can opener so there are no sharp edges.
- Empty, wash, and dry the can.
- Create robot faces with magnets and metal hardware (no glue needed).
- Use glue gun to attach non-metal (buttons) or non-magnetic items (aluminum) to magnets.
- Arrange magnets and recycled parts on tin can to create your robot person.
Bonus: Make up a story about your robots.