The Parenting Matters Conference by the Lifespan Community Health Institute, in collaboration with Bradley Hospital, is scheduled to take place virtually on March 20. This half-day event offers parents, childcare providers, social workers and teachers a unique opportunity to learn from top child development and behavior professionals in a casual setting. There are two keynote presentations this year:
- The Vaccine and Your Family, by Michael Koster, MD, division director of pediatric infectious diseases at Hasbro Children’s Hospital, and
- Supporting Parents to Support Their Children’s Mental Health, by Karyn Horowitz, MD, chief medical officer at Bradley Hospital and director of child outpatient psychiatry for Lifespan.
Breakout sessions will help attendees:
- Develop a greater understanding of the challenging behavior exhibited by the youth they support,
- Get an overview of the benefits of self-care with hands on activities, and
- Determine the underlying cause and motivation of challenging behavior, allowing participants to learn how to provide support and implement proactive strategies to prevent or reduce undesirable behaviors in the future.