Make your mark at the Museum of Art Rhode Island School of Design, as the popular Big Draw returns for its third-annual FREE celebration of drawing on Saturday, April 28, 2012, from 11 am to 4 pm.
“Artist Henri Matisse is quoted as saying ‘Drawing is putting a line around an idea,’” says Aja Blanc, Associate Educator at the RISD Museum of Art. “I love this because it expresses the notion that drawing is a means of thinking through ideas and sharing them with others.”
Draw through the Museum in artist-led activities for all ages, spontaneous mark making in the galleries, and special demonstrations by RISD student-artists. Let live music guide your hand; contribute to a large-scale mural; make a drawing, take a drawing in the always popular Drawing Exchange; see artists at work in the galleries; and draw across time and culture using the Museum’s new Young Explorer’s Guide. There’ll be no starving artists here… venture out into the Chace Center Plaza and visit Rosie’s food truck for family-friendly lunch and snack options.
Blanc says that the Big Draw gives Museum visitors the opportunity to take pleasure in the act of drawing and see the practice of drawing in new ways–as a way of looking closely at a work of art, for example, or as a means of communicating ideas.
SCHEDULE OF FREE EVENTS
11 am-4 pm
Celebrate drawing in all its forms at the third-annual Big Draw, Saturday, April 28, at the RISD Museum of Art.
- Join RISD students in creating a large-scale mural, Program Gallery
- Participate in a new economy with the Drawing Exchange, Danforth Room
- Watch artists at work, Museum galleries
- Find inspiration in unexpected places, Museum galleries
- Draw across time and culture using the new Young Explorer’s Guide, Museum Galleries
- Refuel at Rosie’s food truck, Chace Center Plaza
11:30 am-1:30 pm + 2-3:30 pm
- Draw to the rhythms of live music, Main Gallery
The RISD Museum of Art
Entrances at 224 Benefit Street and 20 North Main Street in Providence, RI
For more information, call 401 454-6500 or visit risdmuseum.org.
Ages: All ages