In recognition of the region’s “best, most interesting art and culture” The Law and Order Party held its first annual award celebration, the Dorrys, on September 27. Matthew Lawrence’s Law and Order Party: 365 Things To Do In Rhode Island This Year is a website, event calendar, and weekly newsletter that highlights one local cultural event for every day of the year (some suitable for kids, others events are the perfect break from parental duties), in addition to guides and features including “movie lounge” and “restaurant madness”. Fun fact: “Law and Order Party” and the “Dorrys” are a throwback to the Rhode Island political party of the 1840’s at the time of the Dorr Rebellion, not embracing any affiliation but simply the quirkiness that weaves through the Rhode Island identity.
The Dorry award winners represent the best of local creative forces, from the trailblazers to the enduring in categories of art, books, drama, film, music and performance. We’ve assembled a handful of noteworthy winners that have been particularly impactful on kids and families in the Ocean State including the non-profit organizations Manton Avenue Project, Providence Children’s Film Festival, Girls Rock! Rhode Island, and Everett, working directly with Rhode Island youth to nurture creative expression and skills.
- BOOK OF THE YEAR – CHILDREN’S Claudine Pepin, Let’s Cook French (Claudine is a Barrington resident!)
- NEW BOOKSTORE OF THE YEAR Books On the Square
- USED BOOKSTORE OF THE YEAR Cellar Stories
- DRAMA NON-PROFIT OF THE YEAR Manton Avenue Project
- FILM FESTIVAL OF THE YEAR Providence Children’s Film Festival
- FILM SERIES OF THE YEAR Movies On The Block
- YOUTUBE CHANNEL OF THE YEAR Kids Rock Chorus (of East Providence)
- MUSIC EVENT OF THE YEAR PVDFest
- MUSIC NON-PROFIT OF THE YEAR Girls Rock! Rhode Island
- PERFORMANCE COMPANY OF THE YEAR Everett
- PERFORMANCE NON-PROFIT OF THE YEAR Everett
Visit the Law and Order Party: 365 Things To Do In Rhode Island This Year to view the calendar and subscribe to the weekly e-newsletter of artful and interesting Rhode Island happenings to explore.