Here is my 2008 list of fun ways to celebrate the last care-free days of summer vacation–before school starts and the days get shorter and the nights get colder.Â Some were on last years’ list, but some traditions are worth repeating.
1. Head to our favorite beach for an early morning walk, midday swim or end of the day supper – our new favorite is Second Beach in Newport, RI
2. Have a potluck picnic with friends at a park, a beach or backyard.
3. Visit Waterfire in downtown Providence, lighting occurs just after sunset.
4. Take a hike at one of the Audubon wildlife refuges.
5. Make an accordion book about what we did this summer. Have kids draw pictures, add photos, collage, tell stories or make lists of what they did or where they went .
7. Have breakfast at Three Rivers Cafe in Warren, RI
8. Take the ferry to Newport, Block Island, or Prudence Island
9. Have friends over–after the kids are in bed–and sip summer cocktails on the porch.
10. Go for a bike ride at Lippitt Park (corner of Blackstone Boulevard and Hope Street) and then visit our favorite ice cream place, Three Sisters in Providence. Like soft serve ice cream? Check Katy’s list of local places that serve it up. Click here to find Rhode Island bike maps.
Photo credit: Boys at Roger Wheeler Beach by Douglas Itkin